SPICED PUMPKIN SOUP
A hearty Autumnal light dish. Lightly spiced and wonderfully warming.
1 small onion, finely chopped
1kg pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
Half a cinnamon stick
Freshly grated nutmeg
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
400ml vegetable or chicken stock
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and add the onion, cook over a low heat for 15 minutes or so to soften without browning.
- Add the pumpkin and spices, salt and pepper and the stock. Simmer gently until the pumpkin is soft. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Liquidise the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add the sherry and more stock or water if the soup is too thick.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper if necessary, serve hot.