Autumn at it's finest, in a creamy, nourishing risotto.
2 -3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 litre well-seasoned chicken stock
2 cloves of garlic
300g risotto rice
75ml dry vermouth or white wine
170g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 bunch fresh oregano or sage, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200ºc/gas mark 6.
- Remove the skin from the pumpkin and cut the flesh into large pieces and remove the seeds.
- Drizzle with the oil and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Cut into chunks and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan and stir in the onion. Cover with a piece of dampened greaseproof paper and lid then cook until soft (about 10-15 minutes).
- Bring the stock to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Remove the paper from the onions and stir in the garlic and the rice and cook for about 5 minutes or until the rice looks translucent.
- Add the vermouth and stir until evaporated. Add enough hot stock to cover the rice and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes adding more stock as the rice absorbs the liquid and the pan becomes dry.
- Cook until the rice is 'al dente' - tender but with a little bite.
- Stir in the chunks of pumpkin or squash, Parmesan cheese and the chopped herbs. Season to taste and serve warm.