PAN FRIED PHEASANT BREAST, CONFIT LEG AND CHESTNUT RELISH
Autumn and Game at it's finest.
Ingredients for the pheasant:
2 Pheasants Breasts
10 g butter
Ingredients for the relish:
70g chestnuts vacuum packed
½ banana shallot
1 slice of smoked pancetta
1 sprig thyme
50 ml chicken stock
50ml mild olive oil
25ml red wine vinegar
Ingredients for the confit:
2 pheasant legs
2 sprigs rosemary
½ bulbs garlic, cut in half
- Place the pheasant’s legs in a plastic container and sprinkle with salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day remove the legs and brush off the excess salt.
- Preheat the oven to 130oC degrees.
- Place in a pan with the rosemary and the garlic and the goose fat.
- Bring to a simmer and then place in the oven for 2 hours.
- Once the legs are tender remove from the hot fat and place on a board.
- Trim the knucklebone until clean. Leave aside until needed or chill in the fridge.
- For the breasts; Heat a large frying pan with a little oil. Season the breast and add to the pan skin side down. Fry for 3 minutes on each side
- Once cooked, remove the breast from the pan and cover lightly with tin foil and rest for 10 minutes.
- Reserve until required.
- For the relish; place the shallots in a medium sized saucepan with a little oil and sweat until soft. Remove to a bowl.
- Reheat the frying pan and -fry the pancetta until crispy and then add to the shallots. Return the shallots to the pan.
- Next add the vinegar and stock and reduce a little.
- Finally stir in the chestnuts, thyme and olive oil.
- Season and reserve until later.
- To serve; place a breast in the centre of a warm plate and rest the leg up against it.