mussels with smoked garlic & chives
A classic dish, ideal as a starter for two or main for one.
½ medium onion, very finely chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 clove smoked garlic, crushed
2tbsp finely chopped chives
75ml dry white wine
2tbsp double cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra chopped chives to garnish
- Sweat the onion and shallots in the butter for 10-15 mins, add the garlic and fry 1 minute.
- Add half the chives, the water and wine and bring to the boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Clean the mussels: throw away any with cracked or broken shells and any that remain open when tapped, pull off the beards and remove any barnacles.
- Give them a thorough wash in lots of cold water.
- Add the mussels to the onion mixture, cover and steam gently for 5 minutes or until all the mussels have opened.
- Throw away any mussels that remain closed, tip into a colander set over a bowl and return the liquid to the saucepan
- Add the cream and boil to reduce the liquid to syrupy consistency (keep the mussels warm while this is happening).
- Check the seasoning and put the mussels into serving dishes, pour over the sauce and scatter the remaining chives over the top.