English Cheddar & apple loaf
1 Large Loaf
Ideally paired with ham to make a sandwich or dunked in some warming soup!
500g plain flour
1tbsp baking powder
4 apples, peeled, cored and grated
125g cheddar, grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Rolled porridge oats to sprinkle
Oil for greasing
You will also need 1 x 1kg/2lb loaf tin
Grease a loaf tin with oil.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and the salt in a large mixing bowl and add the butter. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir the grated apple and cheese into the flour and butter mixture. Add the beaten eggs and mix everything together until thoroughly blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and sprinkle the top with oats.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 ½ -2 hours until golden brown and well risen.
- The bread is ready when a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn out of the loaf tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.