Broccoli & courgette soup with parmesan
A delicious summery soup packed full of flavour and nutrition. The perfect starter or light lunch.
8oz (225g) courgettes, chopped
8oz (225g) broccoli, chopped
4oz (110g) onion, chopped (1 medium onion)
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1tbsp olive oil
750ml stock or water
3oz (75g) grated Parmesan cheese
Good pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the onion, garlic and vegetables finely. Grate the Parmesan.
- Fry the chopped onion in a saucepan with the oil and garlic until the onion turns clear and is tender.
- Add the nutmeg, stock/water, the chopped broccoli and courgettes. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender but do not allow them to become a washed out colour.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little. Add the grated Parmesan.
- Liquidise in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Return to the pan and add a little more stock if necessary. Adjust the seasoning, garnish and serve.
- Garnish with chopped seeds or as a treat a swirl of crème fraîche with chopped chives.