blackberry & almond pudding served with a crÃ¨me anglais
Late Summer perfection in a pudding. Bursting full of flavour, this indulgent dessert pairs the juiciest sweet blackberries with the nutty flavours of almond.
2 x cooking apples, peeled, quartered and decored
1-2tbsp caster sugar
2tbsp apple juicer
110g caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
90g ground almonds
30g self raising flour
Almond essence, drop of
Handful of flaked almonds, to garnish
Ingredients for the CrÃ¨me Anglais:
150ml double cream
1tbsp caster sugar
Drop of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Prepare the fruit and place in a pan with the sugar and apple juice.
- Simmer on a low heat until the fruit is tender.
- Place in a small pie dish or individual ramekins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Slowly add the eggs in about ten additions.
- Stir in the flour, almonds and almond essence.
- Spoon on top of the fruit, sprinkle with flaked almonds and place in an oven for 30-40 minutes until feels spongy.
- For the crÃ¨me Anglais, place the yolks and the sugar into a small bowl.
- Scald the cream until you see bubbles at the edge.
- Pour over the yolks, stirring all the time.
- Clean out the pan so there is no protein on the bottom.
- Return the mixture to the pan and place on a very gentle heat stirring all the time. Do not allow to simmer or boil. It will thicken slowly and coat the back of a spoon. Strain.
- Add the vanilla extract. Serve room temperature with the pudding.